A History of Walter LeGrand Whipple

From Biographies
Jump to: navigation, search

This is a history of Walter LeGrand Whipple, written in his own hand, in his Book of Remembrance.

I was born in Roosevelt City, Duchesne County, Utah, September 29, 1919. My father’s name is Dewey Albert Whipple. He was born at Provo City, Utah County, Utah. My mother’s name is Jennie Smith Whipple. She was born at Provo City, Utah County, Utah.

At the time of my birth, my parents lived in a log cabin with a dirt roof. We owned a homestead about four miles from town.

On January 3, 1921, my sister Alma was born. April 27, 1922, my brother Richard was born.

In the fall of 1922, we moved to Soldier’s Summit. We stayed there for six months, then moved back to Roosevelt, where we stayed until August 1923. We sold all our household goods, cattle, and farm implements. We moved to Provo City, Utah County, Utah. My father helped Mr. Poulson build houses for a year. In the summer of 1924, we moved to Garfield City, Salt Lake County, Utah. Here my father worked to the smelter for a year. When he got laid off, he helped build up Salt Air.

October 20, 1924, my brother Albert was born. In 1926, we moved to Tooele City, Tooele County, Utah. My father got a job at the smelter as a carpenter. I went to the Lincoln School for six years. All that time I got fair marks on my report card. Since I went to the Lincoln School, I never got held back one year. This year, 1932, I am going to the Tooele Junior High School, where I like it very much.

When I was twelve years old, I joined the scout troop 120 of Lake View Ward, Tooele County, Utah. The first year I was in, we went to the Utah Lake. We left the church house eight o’clock in the morning. We went in a Ford truck that wouldn’t go very fast. There were fifteen Boy Scouts and four men, which made nineteen in all. All along the way, we hollered and sang until we got hoarse. When we got on the Redwood Road, we bought us a frozen Milky Way bar. While we were eating the bars, was the only time we weren’t making a log of noise. When we went up to the lake, we rented [entered, rode?] a boat and rode out in the lake about one half of the way. We had a lot of trying to tip the Bishop out of the boat. He would try to hit us with an oar, but we would duck under the water, and he wouldn’t hurt. On the way back to the shore, we saw a fish in shallow water. We all took after it, and soon had it. We took it to shore, and our scout master, who said he would cook all the fish we caught, cooked it. My father and myself made some vegetable soup. When it was finished, we all got our plates and had our picture taken.

We got up bright and early the next day and made ready to go on home. The first thing after we left, we went up to the state asylum, where we visited all the different parts of the farm. It took us about two hours to visit the whole farm. After we seen all the things there was to see, we went up Provo Canyon. We stopped at the hot pots and swam there. I had the best time there that I have ever had in my life.

The second night we camped at Parley’s Canyon. We had fried spuds and fried eggs. The best place we had to sleep was above a ditch. We kept sliding down every little while. In the morning, we got up and started for home. On the way, we stopped at the fish hatchery and learned about the size, shape, and kind of different fish.

I was ordained a Deacon 12 day of the October month of the 1931 year of the nineteenth century. We started to take up the Book of Remembrance the first year I was a Deacon, but didn’t succeed. The second year, we have took it up and have had a lot of success. For the first year I was a Deacon, we had Robert Thalmann for a leader. We got a lot of good out of the lessons that he gave while he stayed. I was the first counselor of the Deacons quorum and have had a lot of experience of how to conduct a successful meeting.

I joined the 4-H garden club when I was ten years old. I learned a lot about gardens. I didn’t have so much luck the first and second year I was in, but the third year, I have raised a good garden, photographed on the picture page picture #4. It is the picture of my brothers and myself. I am on the right-hand side of the picture. I am holding one of my watermelons I have taken special care of. [In the margin, this one says #3.]


The first meeting after my great grandfather [Edson] Whipple had returned from his mission, he saw the mantle of Joseph Smith the Prophet rest upon Brigham Young while he spoke to the people.


After my great grandfather Whipple and his family had been driven from the comfortable homes in Nauvoo into the exposure of the climate, he had to bury his wife, his mother, and his child out on the plains in the period of four days, but still he kept on going with a faithful heart that God would lead him and the other company out to the Rocky Mountains.


After the pioneers had reached Salt Lake City, my great grandfather had to stand on guard for one half of the night every third night. After that company was started good, he was sent with some other men back to the Missouri River to come and direct another company into Salt Lake Valley.


In 1842, my great grandfather Baum and his father and mother witnessed the falling of the stars. He said it looked like the whole sky was on fire.


When my great grandfather Baum was on his way to the Missouri River, he saw hundreds of dead bodies lying along the way. He and the other saints dug holes and buried all the bodies that they could.